John B. Majerus purchased the current Bellechester building and land in September 1919, the building was four years old at the time. Not only did he work on cars and tractors but he also invented the first ever portable grain elevator. John B. Majerus died January 1944, the business was left to his wife Agnes Majerus.
In January 1945 the second generation stepped in and was then purchased by Richard S. Majerus the eldest son. January 1946, Quentin J. Majerus decided that he wanted to go in half and half with his brother Richard. April 1954 Quentin purchased the second half of the family business hoping to run it with the most success. 1972 the third generation stepped in when Quentin hired his son Rich. A short time after Quentin hired another one of his sons Doug. Together the three of them would run this small town garage with high standards and excellent customer service.
In 1979 the Bellechester Garage took another turn, this time it became a corporation between Quentin Majerus and his two sons, Rich and Doug Majerus. At the same time the name had also changed to what we know today as Majerus Garage. With the increase of business more space was needed, in the Spring of 1981 the south side of the building roof was raised for an additional third bay for larger equipment. Again in 1984 with business continuing to increase, a fourth bay was built into the south side of the building taking place of the west side bay that had been a great success for many of years.
In the spring of 1996 Majerus Garage had been doing so well, it was time to make the biggest add on in the history of the garage, a 4000 square foot truck shop! At the same time a lean on the north side of the truck shop was built for, truck tire storage, wrecker storage and a small welding shop. Continuing the family tradition, in 1997 Rich had hired his second cousin Clinton Majerus as a mechanic on the auto, SUV and light truck side of the business. At the same time Rich’s sister, Ellen Huneke came on as a book keeper to handle payroll.
This small town family business that has been so successful over the years was about to take the biggest turn yet. On February 1st 2001 Majerus Garage, opened a new location bringing a knock out 9600 square foot building into Lake City Minnesota, bringing in the fourth generation, Jason Majerus, Rich’s oldest son, who runs the Lake City shop with pride and dedication.
Today this small town garage is dedicated to providing top notch service with our highly qualified employees and the best tools and equipment money can buy. Sometimes we have to sit back and think, what is the key to excellent customer service that has kept this small town garage in business so long?....It’s Family!
Majerus Garage is still owned and operated by the Majerus Family and continues the traditions of its founder.